Anxiety is suffered by millions of people in day to day activities. Having an anxiety attack is embarrassing. It’s a normal response when the body is stressed or a feeling of being in a dangerous situation. Most people are either treated by psychotherapy or taking medications prescribed to us. But do we want to keep taking these drugs all of our lives?
There are some alternatives you can try:
- Foods high in B vitamins
- Dairy and other foods high in calcium
- Magnesium rich foods
- Omega-3 fatty acids
The Mayo clinic suggests:
Keep physically active. Stay physically active most days of the week by getting into a routine. Exercise can improve your mood and help you stay healthy. Start out slowly and gradually increase the amount and intensity of your activities.
- Avoid alcohol – Alcohol is actually a stimulant with lots of sugar, which increases anxiety.
- Quit smoking and cut back or quit drinking coffee – Both nicotine and caffeine can worsen anxiety by making you more anxious.
- Use relaxation techniques – You can use visualization techniques, meditation, and yoga.
- Make sleep a priority. Do what you can to make sure you’re getting enough sleep to feel rested.
- Eat healthy
- Valerian Root
Before taking herbal remedies or supplements, talk to your doctor to make sure they’re safe and won’t interact with any medications you take.
- If given a treatment plan, stick to it. It will help in the long run.
- When you feel an attack coming on, go for a run or brisk walk.
- Go out and socialize and don’t become isolated.
- Don’t dwell on past concerns.
- Join a support group whether it’s online or in your community.