Uncategorized

Are you taking synthetic supplements?

freestocks-org-126848 (2)

In this day and age with poor nutrients in our foods from overuse in our fields, our food is getting less and less nutritious. The pesticides limit the action needed from microbes in our soil to help plants draw in the nutrients they need. With processed and refined foods (make food last longer) and Genetically Modified Foods (GMO’s) making our food addictive, so we crave certain types of refined, processed or GMO foods. Humanity has been eating whole foods for thousands of years. Since refined and processed foods have come into play, we are now seeing issues such as food allergies, auto-immune disorders and, obesity.

If you go to the BIG chain stores, I pretty much guarantee, most all of the vitamins there are synthetic. The problem with synthetic vitamins because they are made from isolates, which is difficult for your body to absorb. They also contain chemical compounds that are not meant for human consumption. It is important to look for certified organic or natural supplements, so that you are not taking any synthetic vitamins. Make sure the manufacturing meets stringent USDA-NOP standards and it will be labeled as such. Whole food supplements are far superior to vitamins because whole food supplements are blends of concentrated and dehydrated whole foods which give the ability to absorb them better. Whole food supplements provide you with a concentrated source of nutrition, which includes vitamins, minerals, essential fatty acids, phytonutrients and, enzymes to aid in digestion.

There is a big misconception out there with labels reading “Whole”,” Natural” or “Organic”.

The USDA Organic states: USDA organic products have strict production and labeling requirements. Organic products must meet the following requirements.

Organic – Produced without excluded methods, (genetic engineering, ionizing radiation, or sewage sludge). Policy on genetically modified organisms-GMO’s (pdf)

Produced using allowed substances. The National List of Allowed and Prohibited Substances (National List).

Overseen by a USDA National Organic Program-authorized certifying agent, following all USDA organic regulations.

The Organic Consumers Organization breaks down the difference sources and forms, Food Vitamin Supplements, Potency and Purity, Additives, Nutrients needed, Minerals, antioxidants, Fiber and enzymes and more.

It is important when looking for a whole food supplement to investigate their ingredients and supplement facts on the back label.  Just because they say they are “natural” or “whole food”, doesn’t necessarily mean they are. As long as they have 10% its ingredients are from natural, plant-derived ingredients, but the other 90% can be, and most times are, synthetically made in a laboratory. Manufacturers are also putting in Hydrogenated Oils as fillers, in them.

Natural – Look for labeling that states 100% natural. Look for a food source label of natural food sources, then the product is synthetic. Look for food sources such as yeast, fish, vegetable and citrus.

Whole – Some whole food supplements do contain “synthetic” vitamins. Always read the list of ingredients on whole food labels you’ll probably see that vitamins A and D and the B vitamins have been added. They might include yeast-derived, which counts as a natural process; others would say that isolating those vitamins requires a synthetic, industrial process.

Common Synthetic vitamins to avoid:

  1. Vitamin A: Acetate and Palmitate
  2. Vitamin B1 (Thiamine): Thiamine Mononitrate, Thiamine Hydrochloride
  3. Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin): Riboflavin
  4. Pantothenic Acid: Calcium D-Pantothenate
  5. Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine): Pyridoxine Hydrochloride
  6. Vitamin B12: Cobalamin
  7. PABA (Para-aminobenzoic Acid): Aminobenzoic Acid
  8. Folic Acid: Pteroylglutamic Acid
  9. Choline: Choline Chloride, Choline Bitartrate
  10. Biotin: d-Biotin
  11. Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid): Ascorbic Acid
  12. Vitamin D: Irradiated Ergosteral, Calciferol
  13. Vitamin E: dl-alpha tocopherol, dl-alpha tocopherol acetate or succinate

The letters “dl” that appear before the name of an ingredient indicates the supplement is synthetic.

So the verdict is out! Read, read, read the ingredients on the labels.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s