Spring time is here and watermelon is in peak season. Watermelon (citrullus lanatus) is refreshing and healthy. If you have seen watermelon attached to a vine, you’d see that it is a flowering plant. Watermelon consists of 92% water and 6 percent sugar. Watermelon should be eaten in reasonable amounts, otherwise, you may experience nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, bloating, gas and indigestion.
Let me break down what vitamins and minerals watermelon has in it.
- Phenolic antioxidants – are one of three types of antioxidants, which are protective chemical compounds that offer resistance to illnesses ranging from arthritis to cancer. This class of antioxidants differs from sulfur-based antioxidants and selenium antioxidants because their protective powers come strictly from polyphenols, which are substances only found in plant foods, such as fruits, grains, and vegetables. Spices, herbs, and teas made from plants also contain phenolic antioxidants.
- Vitamin C – is an antioxidant that helps prevent cell damage from free radicals.
- Pantothenic acid – is a vitamin (known as vitamin B5) – It is found in both plants and animals including meat, legumes, eggs, milk, vegetables and cereal grains.
- Copper – copper is essential to the proper functioning of organs and metabolic processes as well as that it is vital to all living organisms (plants, humans, animals and microorganisms).
- Biotin – (known as vitamin B7) is beneficial for cell growth.
- Potassium – a mineral and electrolyte important for lowering the risk of high blood pressure, stroke, and heart disease.
- Magnesium – is important for nerve impulses, the formation of bones and cells. It also helps the body with temperature regulation, detoxification, and energy production.
- Vitamin A/ Carotenoids – are found in this type of vitamin (which makes up the bright colors in fruit). It promotes growth, the immune system, reproduction, and vision
- Vitamin B1 – converts food (the carbs in our food into fuel), (glucose), which the body uses to produce energy.
- Vitamin B6 – Can help with heart disease and high cholesterol.